A Simple Guide for Using Crystals to Enhance Your Meditation
Crystals and meditation go hand in hand. Meditation is a technique of focusing the mind, allowing it to calm down and relax. It helps take the mind from our continual state of overdrive to a calm walk through a beautiful landscape. Crystals on the other hand, each offer their own unique energy to help each and everyone of us to walk this path of slowing down and finding balance. When choosing crystals for your meditation, it is best to use your intuition. Look at your selection of crystals. Breathe into the here and now and ask the right crystal to come forward. Pure intention of your needs in this moment will help you select just the right crystal. (This goes for when you are purchasing crystals as well. Just breathe, open your heart and let the crystals you need come forward into your awareness.)
There are many techniques for using crystals to enhance your meditation. I find one of the most relaxing technique is to lay down comfortably on your back and place the crystals on your body. When placing the crystals you can have just one, a set of crystals, or perhaps one for each chakra. Again, using your intuition to guide you on the location of the placement is best. However, a nice set of guidelines is to place the crystal at the corresponding level of the chakra. The seven primary chakras and their colors are:
- Root Chakra (Muladhara) – Red or black crystals. Place the crystal between the upper thighs or on the pubic bone.
- Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana) – Orange or brown crystals. Place the crystals on the lower belly (below the belly button).
- Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura) – Yellow crystals. Place the crystals on the upper abdomen.
- Heart Chakra (Anahata) – Green or pink crystals. Place the crystals on the breastbone.
- Throat Chakra (Vishuddha) – Light blue or turquoise crystals. Place the crystals at the pit of the throat or on the neck (mostly depends on the size of the cystal).
- Third Eye Chakra (Ajna) – Dark blue or indigo crystals. Place the crystals on the forehead at the brow center.
- Crown Chakra (Sahasrara) – Purple, white or clear crystals. Place the crystals just above the top of the head on the floor.
This chakra lay out works with one crystal at the appropriate chakra or several crystals. I love putting one crystal on each chakra. It feels so balancing and energizing all at the same time.
Generally speaking when placing a crystal on the body at the level of a chakra you will want to put it at the center of the body, along the line of the spinal column. This allows the crystal to do the most good through the region of the body it is resting on.
Once you have the crystals placed on your body and you are comfortable lying down, bring awareness to your breath. Next set a sankalpa (a heartfelt intention for the time you will be meditating). Now all there is to do is relax with the crystal/s. If the mind wanders, let it come back to the feeling of the crystal/s resting on your body. This is a time to rest and relax the mind and the body. You may be surprised at how easy it is to get into the meditative state with the aid of your crystals.
When you feel complete (or your timer goes off), gently remove the cystals from your body, roll to your side, and slowly come to sitting. Seal in your meditation with gratitude and humbleness and gracefully start moving back into your day.
Enjoy your crystal meditation! Let me know how it goes for you!
If you’d like to learn more, I invite you to attend the upcoming Crystal Chakra Meditation Workshop Series. The first of the three classes is this coming Sunday, June 26, 1:00-4:00 at Maitri Yoga Center in Westminster. Register early as space is limited. All are welcome to attend, lots of experience with crystals and/or chakras or no experience. Just a desire to learn is all it takes.